- All courses are available online or print-based. Please specify the format you prefer upon registration in the “comments” section
- Each course is 3 semester credits
- A complimentary transcript will be sent to you from Adams State University upon completion of each course
Textbooks are available from The Center for Legal Studies at 1-800-522-7737 or
The Paralegal program trains students to assist trial attorneys, interview witnesses, investigate complex fact patterns, research the law and assist in preparing cases for courtroom litigation. The instruction is practice-oriented and relates to those areas of the law in which legal assistants are most in demand. Designed for beginning as well as advanced legal workers. Students must complete both courses to receive the Paralegal Certificate. Paralegal I is a prerequisite to Paralegal II.
BUS 359: Paralegal I Introduction to Paralegal Studies – 3 Credits? Online/Print
注册送现金可直接提现This course provides the foundation for the study of paralegalism. During this first session, you will gain a detailed understanding of the American legal system, legal terminology, and ethics. You will learn how to prepare pleadings, discovery, motions, and briefs and will review the rules of evidence and civil procedure.
BUS 359: Paralegal II Advanced Paralegal Concepts – 3 Credits Online/Print
This course continues the legal education developed in Paralegal I. You will learn advanced skills including legal research, writing and proper citation format. You will also be taught how to prepare important legal documents relating to real property, corporations, partnerships, wills, trusts, bankruptcy, and domestic relations. You will study formal and informal advocacy techniques and principles of appellate procedure.
Advanced Paralegal Certificate
These classes are available to students who wish to increase their knowledge of law and paralegal studies with classes in specialized facets of contemporary law. Your study and concentration on substantively specific materials will enable you to gain a strong competitive edge over other paralegals.
注册送现金可直接提现The additional training gained through participation in these advanced classes will embellish your legal knowledge and skills, which in turn should increase your salary and marketability. Those who successfully complete at least six advanced topics will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
Students are required to successfully complete Paralegal I and Paralegal II before registering for advanced courses. Up to three Advanced Paralegal Course topics may be taken during a seven-week online session, and Advanced Paralegal Course topics do not have to be taken in any particular order.
Advanced topics offered for 3 Credits are as follows:
- BUS 379 Bankruptcy Law
- BUS 379 Business Law & Practices*
- BUS 379 Estate Planning
- BUS 379 Immigration Law
- BUS 379 Intellectual Property
- ED 379 Education Law
- BUS 479 Alternative Dispute Resolution
- POLS 379 Constitutional Law*
- POLS 379 Family Law
- POLS 479 Advanced Legal Research
- SOC 379 Criminal Law
- SOC 379 Criminal Procedure
- SOC 379 Victim Advocacy
注册送现金可直接提现*The courses marked with an asterisk (*) do not satisfy the requirements of the Adams State University Business core. If you are an ASU degree-seeking student, please contact your advisor for more information.
Additional Legal Courses Available
- Advanced Legal Research and Writing – 3 credits
- Employment Law Certificate Course – 3 credits
- Intellectual Property Law for Engineers – 3 credits
- Personal Injury for Paralegals?– 3 credits
- Software Essentials for the Law Office – 3? credits
- Legal Investigation Certificate Course – 4.8 Continuing Education Units
- Legal Nurse Consultant Training Course – 4.2 Continuing Education Units
- Legal Secretary Certificate Course – 4.8 Continuing Education Units